Oct 28, 2012

Another Potluck

Another month, another potluck!

A few things:

• I have yet another calling: ward choir piano player (I prefer "piano player", I despise the word pianist).  Anyway, so they switched their rehearsal times so that I can have the calling.  So it's now an hour after church every week.  It's me playing for Chinese singers.  It's quite comical.  But fun.

•  I spoke in church on Sunday (and accompanied, and conducted one song...long story).  But speaking here is difficult because you have to stop every sentence.  I'm used to just getting up and talking with no script, but it's easier for the translator standing beside you if you have the entire thing written out and read a sentence at a time.  I bored myself speaking because it's hard to show personality or start with a cheesy joke that way...BUT, however, it still went well.

• I love church here!  The people are amazingly friendly.  Like, craaaaazy friendly.  One foreigners baby started crying in Sacrament meeting (her husband was away on business) and immediately five women stood up to go over to her and helped her with her other kids and one even took her baby out to the lobby for her so she could enjoy Sacrament meeting, no questions asked, nothing was said.  I've never seen anything quite like that before.



This wasn't everyone at this potluck but a good bunch of them.  
The bishop is the man standing farthest to the right.

4 comments:

dlpower said...

Fun! I'm loving all this church callings / activity stuff. Keeling you busy. Glad you're loving it.

Janis said...

I wish I could have heard your talk, and your piano playing. I want to hear the "long story" about the accompanying and conducting.

What a sweet story about the sisters helping the mom.

Miss you.

Papa Dave said...

It is amazing how wonderful people really are! Great post son. Glad to hear the Lord is putting your gifts and talents to work. Love Dad

James Shipley said...

I love reading this. You are having an amazing experience! Thanks for writing and the pictures.