Jun 3, 2013

Things

Helloooo.

I haven't posted much lately because I haven't really done much worth posting about.  Life here has gone far beyond being a tourist anymore that things just don't seem as exciting as they used to be.  I've been here almost sixteen months!  That's a long time, and enough time to go from a tourist seeking adventure to just a daily normal human being.

With that said, I did get my flight home - I'm coming home July 25!

But before I come home, I will be touring the island once again - including the east coast which I haven't seen yet.  Stoked.

* * * * *

My 7/11 friends took me to a restaurant where you have your own gas stove and cook your own food at the table.  It was kind of disgusting, but a neat experience.




I'm just not into things floating in liquid and just mixing a bunch of weird things together.
I think tofu was in there also which is a gigantic no-no.

 * * * * *

Headline News: Currently there are some pretty serious conflicts going on between Taiwan and the Philippines.  Apparently the Philippines shot at a Taiwanese fishing boat that was within their ocean borders and killed a fisherman without warning.  Drama.

Here's an article on it:


* * * * *

On Sunday, on the way home from church, my scooter broke down.  I was about 15 minutes from home, so not too bad.  It broke down at a pretty good location actually; right next to an OK-Mart (7/11 wanna-be) and a scooter shop which was closed because it was Sunday.  But thank goodness the OK-Mart was there so I could use their phone to call my church friends who were able to come to the rescue.  Thank you to the Breinholt family.


I'll be back scootering soon enough!

* * * * *

Some kid pictures.






* * * * *

The other day a Chinese teacher asked me in English (obviously):
"What is a whore's house called?"
I said, semi-confused: "Umm, what?"
She said: "What is a whore's house called?"
So I said, not really knowing why she was asking: "A brothel."
Later that day I passed her classroom and I heard her saying the worth "brothel" in her classroom.
I thought: "Well this can't be right..."
So I looked in her class and she was talking about HORSES.
So I interrupted her class and said: "A stable!!  It's a stable!!!!"

Oops!
It seems so obvious, but I guess I haven't gotten used to strong accents yet.

* * * * *

A bird.

7 comments:

Janis said...

That is so funny. Good thing you were able to correct the word. Can't wait to see you in July.

Papa Dave said...

too funny Craig. Wonderful post. Good to go for July.

James Shipley said...

I'm laughing!!!

Unknown said...

I love everything about your post. I know you have been hearing us say this for the past 15 months, but just come home already.

dlpower said...

hahaha that story is awesome. I also loved this line: I think tofu was in there also which is a gigantic no-no. Miss you Craig!

em. j said...

I ate food like that while I was in Taiwan, BLECH. (i also was not a fan).

can't wait for you to get here. USA all the way.

Velvet J said...

Hahaha. The brothel/stable thing is hilarious.