This weekend I did the first really touristy thing since I've been here. Near where I live there is a giant Buddhist Temple that I think is called the Wugu Temple. You can see it from the apartment and pretty much anywhere within a mile or two radius.
It was a very interesting experience. I had obviously never been to a Buddhist Temple before (and apparently they're all over the place here in Taiwan) so I'm looking forward to visiting more. It was very quiet, relaxing, smelled like incense, and very beautiful. The attention to detail was amazing and the colors were awesome. There was tons of symbolism that I obviously don't know and probably never will...but it was still cool.
I asked of course if we were allowed to take pictures inside and they said yes.

This is the temple looking from probably a 1/4 mile behind it. That's Wugu sitting up there. I believe he's a Buddhist God of sorts.

Getting closer.

Wugu Street.


The entrance.

Not sure what this was but it was very detailed.


Incense burning.


I felt semi-bad photographing these two praying...but it's such a cool photo.


Smaller Wugu statue.



The artwork was incredible.


Sacred text.

An awesome lighted wall.





View of the entrance from the upper balcony.


All the way to the top now and super close.

Pretty cool view.
It was a lot of fun and very interesting. I'm looking forward to seeing more sites like this.
4 comments:
What a wonderful opportunity you have to see such beautiful sites. You take great pictures, but it does seem just wrong to be taking pictures inside a Religious building. I'm glad you were able to, so we can enjoy it too.
Wow Craig. What a pictorial. You are right. The detail is incredible and the symbolism for Buddhists very rich. Thanks for sharing. Loved it all.
way to take efy global. :) also. sassy watch. OH and cool temples! they're incredible aren't they?
crazy, craig! i am loving all the pictures...
Post a Comment