Apr 17, 2012

Photo Mobbed

Walking around my neck of the woods here it isn't uncommon for people to:

1. stare at me.
2. stop, wave, and say "hello! hello! hello!" many times.
3. photo mob.

What is photo mobbing?

Let me tell you a story...

The other day I went on a bike ride and a walk and was crossing a bridge. People were very unusually friendly at this moment; it was bizarre. Every 3rd person or so would stop, wave, and say "Hello! Hello! Hello!" I had gotten pretty used to my "celebrity status" and my "15-seconds-of-fame-per-person" agenda, until it all went crazily unexpected.

On the bridge was a group of probably twenty 18-(ish)-year-old kids who started pointing at me and mumbling excitedly in Chinese. It was apparent immediately I wasn't in any danger but these kids became obsessed! I felt like a museum artifact and just kept waving and waving and saying "hello" over and over again and smiling. They were overly-excited.

So they all surrounded me and got ready for a picture...of which I had absolutely no choice in the matter. Thus, I was photo mobbed. I had no idea what was going on. I was huddled, jumped on (at one point I was giving someone a piggy-back and still to this moment have no clue which person it was), my scruffy face was caressed, etc..

I felt like Bieber.

It was actually really funny and they were very nice...even if they all wreaked of alcohol and cigarettes. Barf.

After they all got done with their pictures I said, using body language of course, "wait, wait, my camera!"
Documenting experiences like this is a must.

The photo mobbers:

...one of these things doesn't fit.

And there were even more people than this who just didn't make it in this picture.

Afterwards, walking away and off the bridge, I had the sudden urge to check all my pockets and my backpack. What if it was a scam?!

Wallet?
check.
Keys?
check.
Watch on wrist?
check.
iPad?
check.

Phew!

Glad I'm not Bieber.

8 comments:

Mike Briney said...

Hahaha, you've always wanted to be a celebrity! Live. It. Up!

Papa Dave said...

What fun Craig. Great post. Always knew you had a 'magnetic' personality.

Janis said...

Sounds scary to me. Glad it was all in fun.

Dad asked me who "Bieber" is.

Diane! said...

Love it!!! I was totally thinking the whole time reading that it could be scam! I am glad they were just amazed by your celebrity like qualities!!

Diane! said...

The previous post was from Diane...fyi...

Katie Jo said...

Hahaha I absolutely loved this!!!

James Shipley said...

You, are, amazingly popular!

Emily said...

well let's just say IF you were Bieber you'd probably have a bodyguard that would've swatted these fans away-- you can't just go jumping on Bieber's back and caressing his face! also. remember that time we asked some asian tourists to take a photo of us on santa moncia pier & they did with THEIR camera?! haha! i love the fascination with amercians. :)