Nov 25, 2012

Taiwansgiving

Thanksgiving (or Taiwansgiving as it will be referred to) was experienced in three separate chapters this year.  I was worried about a lack of celebration being here...but alas, I refuse to go celebrationless.

Chapter 1

Unbeknownst to me, the school I teach at was planning a Taiwansgiving feast for lunch time on Thursday.  That morning I did a small assembly with the students and taught about what we celebrate and about indians and pilgrims and turkeys.  They understood probably about 3% of it, but that's ok.  With the older afternoon students, I did the same, and they understood most of it.  We had them raise their hands and say "I'm thankful for..." in order to get food.  That was nice.

So the uncles, (the 3 handymen who work at the school), roasted us the chickens (heads and all!) that have been living behind the school the last few weeks.  Yum...
(lots of food pictures ahead...apologies)



Well, hey Bert and Ernie!


 Miss Lucy and Miss Monica (owners of the school) leading the Taiwansgiving events.


 Not quite what I'm used to. 

With one of my little students.

 That chicken was literally alive three hours earlier. 


Well, that was fun.

Chapter 2

We went to Costco on Wednesday night to get Taiwansgiving stuff.  And it was PACKED.  Do they realize that it's an American holiday!?  But regardless, I guess anyone can celebration a holiday where we're supposed to be thankful.


We got the typical stuff for a celebration at our apartment.  Except we got chicken instead of a turkey.  It was easier to transport on a bike.



Martinelli's

Thanks Costco!

Chapter 3

Leave it up to the Mormons to throw the real party.  I was not surprised to discover that church potlucks are the exact same the world over.  There was a huge feast complete with all sorts of stuff from both Eastern and Western worlds.





In America we separate all of our foods on the plate.  Here you use a bowl and mix it all together and use chopsticks.

At the kid's table.


I made an Indian headband.



Sun setting on Taiwansgiving.

I'm thankful for this opportunity to be in Taiwan.  It's been so much fun and time is flying.  I remember last year thinking, "What will I be doing next Thanksgiving!?"...and now that answer has come and gone. 

And I already know where I'll be for Christmas...


Japan!
Can't wait.

2 comments:

Janis said...

We missed you this Thanksgiving. Looks like you had lots going on anyway. We skipped turkey all together and had barbecued steaks. I don't think I'd like to have my steaks served with a cow's head attached.

Unknown said...

Don't get in line behind the Elders...