Hello there. It appears I've ignored posting for a while. Actually, not so much ignoring as it is lack-of things to currently write about. Truth is, I haven't done too much the last few weeks as a result of being rained out or frozen out. It's getting cold y'all. And also trying to not spend as much in preparation for going to Japan. I leave on Saturday and I'll have plenty to post about then.
But here are a few meandering thoughts and events...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
On December 13th my grandpa passed away at 91 years old. He lived a long and satisfying life. I will miss him greatly but am really happy getting to have 27.5 years with him and that he gets to move on to the better place now.
Love you Papa!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
It is pretty much a given that the entire world is currently depressed from the terrible incident in Connecticut. As well, with the children in China who were injured on the same exact day, which has been big news here as well. As a current teacher of children these ages, the tragedy has haunted my mind for a week (and I'm not even a parent). So with that, this week I decided to be a little more patient, a little more caring with these students. The world is unpredictable and can be very unfair and you just never know what is going to happen. But I've been touched and inspired by the stories that have unfolded in the results from this tragedy.
Much debate has been made over gun control and treatment of the mentally ill, both of which I'm sure can benefit from positive reform, but the most anyone can do right now is be aware of the people and world around them.
So let's learn from this horrific incident and all re-devote ourselves to try a little bit harder to be a little bit nicer, and to keep an eye out for those down-trodden, depressed, or forgotten.
You just never know.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I was looking through the photographs on the school computer and found these that were taken way back in April.
These were all the teachers and faculty at the time, half of which don't work here anymore.
And even though some don't look it, everyone is really nice.
I don't understand the "no smiling" thing...I just don't get it.
This was my class from February to August.
I still teach half of them who come to my school after their 1st grade public school class gets out.
This picture is actually current. It's from October and this is the K1A class.
I'm with them the most. Just at the beginning of their English studies.
Here's more of K1A. Also, the 4 kids in the front are the Baby Class.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Favorite Christmas album 2012 award goes to:
I've liked her since American Idol and even saw her live in college. Mom, you would love this cd I think. Very simple and low-key...no over-the-top Christmas hysterics.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I saw The Hobbit and loved it.
We had a random hot day last week. Thus, the shorts.
However, it holds nothing compared to the former three.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I got a new bike!
Thanks mom and dad.
Merry Christmas.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
This week (and really the last two months...) all we've been doing at school is rehearsing for our Christmas program on Friday. I'm Santa, Riaan (my South African 7-foot-tall roommate) is The Grinch, and Kristi is Cindy-Loo-Who. So, being Santa, means I have to do all the dances for each class on the stage with them. I had Kristi tape a rehearsal with one of the classes. This is the one I know the least, as you'll be able to tell. The kids are funny to watch too. And yes, I have to use pom-poms.
Click on the link:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
This morning we had the first dress rehearsal (Except for me. They don't want the kids to know that I'm Santa...even though none of the kids actually celebrate Christmas in real life)...anyways, here are some photos of the dress rehearsal with all the classes different Christmas outfits. I mean, they go all out here.
She's the youngest at the school. Barely 2 years old.
Aren't they all hilarious!?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Well, I've pretty much settled into life here. I no longer have the tourist mentality. Of course I still have interest in seeing things and going places, but no longer feel the need to get snapshots of every Buddhist temple I see or family of six on a scooter. I forget I'm even in Taiwan sometimes and have to remind myself. Sometimes certain places or smells....especially smells....my goodness, the smells....can bring back the early emotions of first being here. But those are long-time gone.
Off to Japan in 2 days!

























No comments:
Post a Comment