This weekend there was a huge service project at the church. I'm not exactly sure what it was...I was told numerous things. But from what I understood is that it was an activity for local less-fortunate kids in the community to feel included (or something to that effect). I originally thought it was for orphans, but that wasn't the case. Anyway, I showed up excited to help out...but after about two minutes I realized it wasn't going to be possible. Obviously, everything was in Chinese, and it was just mad chaos and would have required me to have a constant translator helping me out all day and telling me what to do. Oh well...I tried!
So I left for a few hours but came back for the huge, epic, ambitious stake Christmas program. I have never (and I've been to plenty) seen a Christmas program like this. It was two hours long (emphasis on TWO) and featured stage productions, skits, magicians, dance numbers, musical performances, and ultimately ended with the nativity story. I loved it all, but got weary with the lack of knowing the language. But it was ok.
Here's a clip of the opening number:
They had instruments I have never seen or heard before. It was really neat.
What is that!?
Here's a clip of them playing "Away In A Manger":
It fades out quickly because a missionary asked me to take a video for them.
The missionaries did their crazy skit thing.
The magician.
Christmas bells.
The most surprising (but not really) and entertaining part was when they had a performance of the the "Gangnam Style" song and dance phenomenon. For those rare few who have no idea what this is, "Gangnam Style" is a song from some Korean pop singer named Psy (who will never have to work again just from this one song) that has overtaken the world. It's pretty much been the #1 song worldwide since September or something. Anyway, the dance that goes along with it is super popular. My young students even know it and sing it.
I put it on YouTube so click on the link-
The girl in the front was loving it and obviously knew it the best.
The nativity performance was legit. One of the American moms here told me they practiced for hours and hours. Dedication.
The American kids even spoke Chinese...traitors.
Shepherd and Angel.
Joseph and pregnant Mary.
Wise men.
The manger.
And of course they ended with Santa. He was too busy to officially pose with anyone over nine years old so I had to sneak a few pictures in.
Giving Santa antlers.
It was a great event. I'm glad I went. It's semi-bizarre being in this country where Christmas is everywhere (lights, decorations, trees, the music)...but it's not actually celebrated. So it was nice to go to a church event where it was.
Merry Christmas.












1 comment:
Wow Craig. What a great night. The instrument is like a sitar and is called the Pipa. I googled it. The Ward activity seemed loads of fun and culturally rewarding. Thanks for sharing.
Post a Comment